Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Do you see what I see?

Okay I know I haven't blogged in a year, but I am gonna try to get back in the swing of it.

Recently I had someone ask me about the star that the Magi (Wise Men) followed. This person asked "since the wise men did not find Jesus until He was in his home at around 2 years old, did the star just follow Him around all the time."

I will admit I do not have a definite answer to this question, but I thought it was a very intriguing question that I had never thought of before. So I read the account of the Magi. There is not much at all said about these Wise Men, but here is what Matthew 2 says:

Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men [1] from k the east came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose [2] and have come to worship him.” 3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; 4 and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 They told him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet:

6 “‘And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’”

7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.” 9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. 11 And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12 And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.


There are many interesting questions that are brought up in this passage:
1. Were the Magi the only ones who saw the star?
2. Did the star appear at the birth of Christ?

I read in my study Bible the following:
"Matt. 2:2 we saw his star when it rose. The wise men would likely have been familiar with OT prophecy through interaction with Jews in Babylon, and they may have remembered Balaam's prophecy that “A star shall come out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel” (Num. 24:17). This was understood by Jews to point to a messianic deliverer (e.g., Dead Sea Scrolls, Damascus Document 7.18–21; Testimonia 9–13). The movement of the star (Matt. 2:9) suggests that it is not a natural phenomenon (e.g., a comet, supernova, or conjunction of planets) but was supernatural, perhaps a guiding angel that appeared as a star, or perhaps some specially created heavenly phenomenon that had the brightness of a star. have come to worship him. The wise men likely traveled with a large number of attendants and guards for the long journey, which would have taken several weeks. For example, if they had come from Babylon by the main trade route of about 800 miles (1,288 km), averaging 20 miles (32 km) per day, the trip would have taken about 40 days."

Here is the note that I wrote this morning as I studied this Scripture:
The star appeared when Christ was born, and the Magi and their attendants were the only ones to follow this sign of Christ. Why did so many people ignore this supernatural sign of Christ? Why do so many people still ignore the obvious supernatural signs of Christ?

Do you think there are still "stars" or supernatural signs of Christ that we are ignoring or chalking up to coincidence? How many times do we follow after the wrong star? Are we so focused and in tune with God that we will notice that He is moving among us, or are we like the others who don't even notice the star in the sky.

Jesus help me to look for your supernatural working in and through my life, and help me to be like the Magi, and not only discover you for myself, but to take others with me to your feet!

What are your thoughts? Share here! Maybe I am way off base...

1 comment:

ryan said...

i bet your going to wait another year before you blog again huh?

BlogPatrol Free Blog Counter