Friday, February 5, 2010

Newness Wears Off

I have recently uprooted my family from Atlanta, GA to Bowling Green, KY. We have been here a little over a week and have really enjoyed this little town. The people here are the friendliest people I have ever met. One thing that I am super excited about is there are a million restaurants in this town. I have heard from many locals that Bowling Green is #2 per capita in number of restaurants behind Las Vegas. A billboard as you enter Bowling Green on the Interstate claims that there are over 300 restaurants in BG.

Right down the street from my house they are building an Olive Garden. I have heard everyone talking about this Olive Garden and everyone is so excited to see Olive Garden open. Now don't get me wrong, I love Olive Garden! And I am just as excited as the next person to see it open, but I am fascinated that with this many restaurants no one seems to be excited with the old restaurants, only excited about the new ones. Yesterday, someone told me that when a new restaurant comes to town they can be very successful for the first six months, after that the newness wears off.

This got me thinking. Is this an issue in church? Our ultimate goal is to lead believers and unbelievers to have a passionate relationship with Jesus Christ. And I am willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to make that happen. But I have noticed as I am at a new church that I have become the "newness." People are excited because I have new ideas and philosophies, but I know that eventually the "newness will wear off." And then what will everyone lean on?

That is why it is critical that everything that I do be grounded in the Scriptures. If we, as church leaders, are grounded in the Scriptures then the "newness should never wear off!"

David says in Psalm 19: 7-14:
(New Living Translation)

7 The instructions of the Lord are perfect,
reviving the soul.
The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
8 The commandments of the Lord are right,
bringing joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are clear,
giving insight for living.
9 Reverence for the Lord is pure,
lasting forever.
The laws of the Lord are true;
each one is fair.
10 They are more desirable than gold,
even the finest gold.
They are sweeter than honey,
even honey dripping from the comb.
11 They are a warning to your servant,
a great reward for those who obey them.

12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?
Cleanse me from these hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins!
Don’t let them control me.
Then I will be free of guilt
and innocent of great sin.

14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

My challenge to other pastors is to stay grounded in the Scriptures. It is fine to keep your church relevant to try to attract believers and unbelievers, but once they are there, we must show them the Word, and allow the Holy Spirit to draw them to Him.

3 comments:

Marc Lewis said...

Well said brotherman.

Mrs. Shannon M. Herren said...

So true, Brian! If we are pursuing a passionate relationship with Christ, every new day will bring excitement and joy---in Him!

Blessings!
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Your words and sharing of your heart are confirmation. We are thankful for you and your family here in Bowling Green.

BlogPatrol Free Blog Counter